Sunday, September 19, 2010

Pemba

Estefano on his porch.

Sadly, my parents' time here had to come to an end. They were flying to Kenya to see the Fishers on the way home, so on Friday morning we drove to Pemba where they would catch their flight.

We drove out of Nampula Province and into Cabo Delgado. This was the normal scene along the road.
We drove through a scary fire.
We stopped at a gas station and ate tasty chicken cooked by Victor's mom.
We saw this guy carrying empty plastic water jugs.
We arrived in beautiful Pemba.
The view from Estefano's apartment porch. Estefano is Victor's brother who we get to stay with whenever we go to Pemba.
We ate dinner at a nice restaurant. Victor, my dad, my mom, and Estefano.
A fish that one of us (not me) ate. (I think it was nice of them to make it look like that fish was eating his veggies.)
Yohani at work with his uncle Estefano.
Me and my mom, our last day together.
Last breakfast with my parents (at the Pemba Beach Hotel).
Look at this version of Africa!
My parents boarding the plane to leave us. We LOVED having them here in Mozambique with us and we will miss them SO MUCH. Goodbyes are REALLY hard.
Yohani and Victor.
Victor and Yohani.
Some wonderful friends who live in Pemba. Daniella (with Yohani), Emily, Evelyn, and Ronald. (Evelyn is originally from Holland and Ronald is originally from South Africa.)
Brothers in a serious conversation at lunch, Yohani sleeping in his car-seat behind the plant.
Brothers waiting for food.
Me and Yohani.
Another lunch. Victor got to eat a gigantic lobster, which he has been talking about wanting for a year.
We were not yet ready to take Yohani in the ocean waves so we had to settle for this swimming pool instead. (This is at the restaurant where we ate lunch - you can eat and then swim there!)
Victor and I with our little baby Yohani in Pemba.

3 comments:

Seth McBee said...

Great pics! Glad to see you guys are doing well.

Winston said...

Hi, my name is Winston Moores i am 20 years old and i am american (Santa Barbara) traveling to mozambique in 2 weeks and i am currently looking to do some volunteer work in nampula area due to the fact i am with my Girlfriend who is japanese and volunteering at a teacher training college in the area. I want to be as much of a help while im in the country as possible. I will probably stay 4-6 months(applying for a six month visa). I was wondering if it was possible that you have volunteers to help. I have plenty of experince with children as i am one of seven kids in my family with three younger kids in my family. anyway i love the blog great pictures and stories

Unknown said...

Wow, it's beautiful there. I was wondering if you had any information on volunteering in Pemba, Mozambique? My husband just accepted a job there and we will be moving there in October. It would be great to talk to you about your experience. My email is alvajennifer@gmail.com. Thank you!

Jennifer